Thursday, September 2, 2010

cono sur Cabernet Sauvignon/Carmenere


I absolutely adore this wine, and this grape blend of Carmenere and Cabernet Sauvignon for that matter. I like it so much that I've sent people away from my store to go to another store to get it if I think it's exactly the kind of wine they're looking for. It is a wine that is worth that extra little trek and I hope you'll all have a chance to try it as well. I've reviewed another wine that is a blend of these two grapes in one of my first posts - the Mapu by Baron Phillipe de Rothschild.
Carmenere is a grape originally from Bordeaux that unfortunately never really took root in the region after the phylloxera epidemic of the late 19th century. Luckily it had already been introduced to the soils of Chile and here the grape variety has really come into it's own to make some fantastic varietal and blended wines. It's the magical combination of Carmenere and Cabernet Sauvignon that still gets me however and I'm happy to see that more and more wine makers are coming on board make more of this blend.
This wine is full of cherries and blackberries, ripe fruit, earth, chocolate and some typical Chilean green/vegetal notes on both the nose and the palate. It has a big structure generally expected from a Cabernet Sauvignon but it's nicely mellowed by the Carmenere, a little like a Merlot helps to soften Cabernet based Bordeaux blends. Together, Cabernet Sauvignon and Carmenere merge to make an enjoyably smomoth, not overly tannic but still full-bodied enough to stand it's ground with red meats and heavier food thanks to the Cabernet component. It's also a great wine to enjoy on it's own, which is how I usually have it.

In general, I give this blend a solid A rating, especially since they usually come in at under $20. Some are better than others, but few are bad. If you want a perfect wine to bring to a dinner party where you don't know what's being served, this wine is a great choice! Enjoyable in every way. I hope you enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment